History – Ancient Writers
- The Complete Works of Tacitus: The Annals, Histories, Germania, Agricola, and Dialogue Concerning Oratory, by Publius Cornelius Tacitus.
- The History of the Peloponnesian War (Illustrated), by Thucydides – Richard Crawley translation.
- The Histories of Herodotus (Unexpurgated Edition) (Halcyon Classics), Herodotus.
- The Church History of Eusebius. Philip Schaff (2009-06-08). Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers Series 2, Volume 1 – Enhanced Version (Early Church Fathers). Christian Classics Ethereal Library. Kindle Edition. Personal comment: for anyone wanting to read ancient Christian texts the Schaff compilations are an absolute must. They were produced in the late 19th century and do reflect the thinking of the era. But they contain extensive footnoting without which much these writings would be impenetrable. Eusebius was an honest but also sloppy historian. He conflated people identified in his sources and confused chronologies. The footnotes help untangle that.
- The Xenophon Anthology (Texts from Ancient Greece) Bybliotech.org, Kindle Edition.
- The Josephus Anthology: Against Apion, On Hades, The Antiquities of the Jews, The Wars of the Jews, The Life of Flavius Josephus (Texts From Ancient Rome). Bybliotech.org, Kindle Edition.
History – Source Sites
- The Internet Classics Archive, hosted by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Internet History Sourcebooks Project, hosted by Fordham University in New York.
History – Modern Writers
- Ancient Literacy, William V. Harris. Cambridge: Harvard UP, 1989. Print. ISBN: 0674033809.
- Space between Words: The Origins of Silent Reading, Paul Henry Saenger. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford UP, 1997. Print. ISBN: 0804726531.
- Pascal’s Wager – The Man Who Played Dice with God / James A Connor. New York: Harper Collins, 2006.
- Einstein – His Life and Universe / Walter Isaacson New York: Simon & Schuster, 2008
- The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains, by Nicholas Carr. W.W. Norton & Company, Inc, New York, NY, 2010. ISBN: 0393339750.
- Amusing Ourselves to Death: Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business, by Neil Postman, Penguin Books; 20th Anniversary edition, 2005. ISBN-13: 978-01430365
Early Christiantity and Biblical Interpretation
- Early Church History – CH101
- Jesus and the Eyewitnesses: The Gospels as Eyewitness Testimony / Richard Bauckham, Grand Rapid, Michigan: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 2008, ISBN: 0802863906.
- Genesis Unbound : A Provocative New Look at The Creation Account / John H. Sailhamer. Sisters, OR. : Multnomah Books, 1996.
- Genesis 1 As Ancient Cosmology / John H. Walton. Winona Lake, IN. Eisenbrauns Inc, 2011, ISBN: 9781575062167
- The Lost World of Genesis One: Ancient Cosmology and the Origins Debate / John H. Walton IVP Academic, 2009, ISBN-10: 0830837043